Skip to main content

A RADical Improvement To The Cambridge Beer Scene: The Rad Preview Night!

 


It’s so good to see Cambridge’s smallest pub back open! I was invited to the preview night and had a great time. For most of my drinking life, this pub was fairly rubbish. The beer, although cheap, was terrible. Most of it came from a brewery, which no longer exists. I don’t miss it. Enough about rubbish beer though, what’s the new Rad like? 


Well, in my opinion, it’s just what Cambridge needed. The beer scene in Cambridge is sadly dominated by Greene King, there are too few places where you can get both a good range of beer and beer served in good condition. The Rad had one of the best ranges of beer, I’ve seen in ages. There was literally something for everyone. From sours, to various types of IPA, impy stouts, lager and bitter! There were some preview night teething issues with the beer screens, but it’s so good to be able to see the beer list, style of beer and strength so clearly! The condition was excellent, as expected. 


I sampled beers from Marble, Two Flints and Anspach & Hobday, but the imperial stouts from Amundsen stole the show. 


The new Rad is much lighter than before, and the seating is much more open. This makes the pub built for conversation, which is what pubs are for right! Decorations are coming soon, but I thought this was cool: 


This is a sort of call bell, from when the building was an inn. As you can see, it’s out of action; you still have to walk to the bar!

The biggest measure available, at the time of writing, is 2/3s. That’s great for stronger beers. However, for me, bitter has be served in a pint. I’m sure it’s something that The Rad team will consider. That’s the only improvement, I can think of. 

Huge thanks to Ben and the team for the invite! I’m looking forward to returning soon! The Rad is a more than welcomed addition to the Cambridge Beer scene, and gives us something slightly different. 

I’ll leave you with a very happy BeerMoose: 










Comments

  1. You're so young!

    Yes, the Saffron period was dreadful, but 20 years ago the Radegund was as famous as the Blue and my wife mourns the loss of the grot.

    Nonetheless I agree it's what Cambridge needs and they take their beer seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry haha. I’ve got a milestone birthday in 2 years though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Like You Mean It: The Story of My Friendship With Rach, Mental Health and Our Latest Adventure.

 I’m very fortunate to have great friends in my life, I don’t think you can put a value on good people. People who have your back, make you laugh, pick you up if you need it, advise you, complement you and at times challenge you. I’m not a great lover of texting or messaging, because it just isn’t the same as being together in real life. To me, a sign of a great friend is someone you can spend weeks or months away from, but when you do meet again, it’s like you were never apart. People come and go, the best people stay.  In 2011, whilst at secondary school, I was elected to Sports Council. At this time I was failing to accept that my rugby playing days were nearly over. I have a lifelong problem with my back, it was getting worse. I was seeing two physios a week, hours of laying on my front having my back looked at, coupled with loading up on whatever pain relief the Dr would prescribe me. That was all to try and get through the rugby matches. Eventually, my consultant, Dr Jenner, told

The Best Of Bedford: Three Mirages In A Beer Desert

 One of my best friends lives in Bedford and thus I spent a fair amount of time in the market town turned commuter town. It’s not a bad little place, of course it has some issues, the riverside is very much a delight.  What isn’t a delight is the beer scene. Bedford’s beer scene is dominated by mediocrity, in the forms of generic Green King and Charlie (formerly Charles) Wells pubs. Even the latter’s new brewery complex, Brewpoint, doesn’t make it onto my Bedford beer shortlist. I’ll file that place under nice place, shame about the beer. There are however three places actually worth visiting, let’s get to it.  BeerFly  A beer shop with six taps, occasionally one cask and multiple fridges that showcase the best craft beer available. BeerFly is the standout beer venue in Bedford. The range of beer served here is nothing short of impressive. From sours to lagers and imperial stouts, BeerFly has something for everyone. The Wellington Arms A sister pub to The Live in Cambridge, The Welly i