Skip to main content

USA 24: “Dis Bitch Got A Wonky Drop” - Six Flags Great Adventure

 


We headed south into New Jersey and to my first Six Flags park! A large and diverse cred buffet awaiting us, and I was really excited! This park is home to big boy coasters like El Toro and Nitro, which I’d been hearing about for years. It’s also the home of Kingda Ka, the tallest and fastest operating coaster in the world! 



We collected our diamond season passes and headed straight for the creds! 


Harley Quinn Crazy Train 572: 

A large Tivoli coaster, it had no queue so we ticked it off! 


Skull Mountain 573: 

A cred in a shed! What’s in the shed? An average indoor coaster, that I’m glad we didn’t have to queue for! 

Jersey Devil Coaster 574: 

My first RMC single rail coaster! Sadly, it looks much more impressive than it rides. It feels fast, but it’s not exactly smooth. 

Lil Devil Coaster 575: 

Guess who didn’t take a photo of this… plus one and done! 

Nitro 576: 

Touted by many as the best B&M hyper, I was excited to ride! Headed straight to the back row, of course, that’s the best seat on a hyper! Nitro is fast and holds its pace well, but there’s next to no airtime. I have a feeling it’s been trimmed, and that’s killed the airtime. 

Batman 577: 


Ah finally a coaster that’s on the correct side of the track! A solid invert. Went back row for the forces! 


The Dark Knight 578:

Standard wild mouse, in a shed and with rubbish cardboard theming. 


Kingda Ka 579: 

Standing at 456 feet tall, Ka easily dominates the skyline. At time of writing, it’s the tallest and fastest operating coaster and one I couldn’t wait to ride. I’ve been looking at photos of this ride for years, I’ve even watched the discovery channel documentary! Ka is notoriously temperamental, if it is open run there. After fighting my way through the seemingly impenetrable security on the entrance, formed of one women who was absolutely fastidious about what was in my zipped pocket. It was my passport. The ride itself was incredible. I opted for back row and the speed of the coaster is something else!  It feels like you’re being dragged to the top of the top hat for an age, then it feels like you stop at the top before racing back down. Incredible. We tried to ride again, but it broke and never reopened. 

This was also closed. 


El Toro 580: 


El Toro seems to attract local characters. Walking up to the ride I overheard one local saying “nah, I ain’t riding that, made of wood init”. It gets better though, the title of this blog is something a local shouted as we went up the lift hill! “Dis bitch got a wonky drop!”. El Toro is a weird coaster, you have to ride it at the front or the back. In the middle is incredibly rough, like unbearable rough. The front and the back are glass smooth. Ride it there and it’s incredible.

At some point we had lunch, Mexican food was the on the agenda! 


The loaded nachos were decent. The Stacey’s Mom beer, before you ask, did have it going on! 

Post lunch, we rode Justice League. Maybe we did it before lunch, I don’t know. 


Somehow I managed to get a score so high that I’m in the top 0.5% of all time. Is there no end to my talents? 


Medusa 581: 


Easily my favourite coaster that shares a name with an Anthrax song! Medusa was a pretty good flourless coaster! 

Runaway Mine Train 582: 

Housed in this building. It was alright. Decent for something that opened in 1974.

Joker 583: 


These aren’t actually as disgusting as they look! I’d ride one of these any day over a Zac Spin! I managed to get around 3 complete rotations on the way round! 


Green Lantern 584: 



Stand up coasters just aren’t comfortable. I was glad to tick this off and never have to ride again. 

Superman Ultimate Flight 585: 



Have to ride these at the back for the pretzel loop! The last coaster to tick off. We finished our busy day off with re rides on El Toro before heading to the hotel, ready for another busy day in the morning. 

I’ll leave you with this: 


Next up: Dorney Park! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Like You Mean It: The Story of My Friendship With Rach, Mental Health and Our Latest Adventure.

 I’m very fortunate to have great friends in my life, I don’t think you can put a value on good people. People who have your back, make you laugh, pick you up if you need it, advise you, complement you and at times challenge you. I’m not a great lover of texting or messaging, because it just isn’t the same as being together in real life. To me, a sign of a great friend is someone you can spend weeks or months away from, but when you do meet again, it’s like you were never apart. People come and go, the best people stay.  In 2011, whilst at secondary school, I was elected to Sports Council. At this time I was failing to accept that my rugby playing days were nearly over. I have a lifelong problem with my back, it was getting worse. I was seeing two physios a week, hours of laying on my front having my back looked at, coupled with loading up on whatever pain relief the Dr would prescribe me. That was all to try and get through the rugby matches. Eventually, my consultant, Dr Jenner, told

The Best Of Bedford: Three Mirages In A Beer Desert

 One of my best friends lives in Bedford and thus I spent a fair amount of time in the market town turned commuter town. It’s not a bad little place, of course it has some issues, the riverside is very much a delight.  What isn’t a delight is the beer scene. Bedford’s beer scene is dominated by mediocrity, in the forms of generic Green King and Charlie (formerly Charles) Wells pubs. Even the latter’s new brewery complex, Brewpoint, doesn’t make it onto my Bedford beer shortlist. I’ll file that place under nice place, shame about the beer. There are however three places actually worth visiting, let’s get to it.  BeerFly  A beer shop with six taps, occasionally one cask and multiple fridges that showcase the best craft beer available. BeerFly is the standout beer venue in Bedford. The range of beer served here is nothing short of impressive. From sours to lagers and imperial stouts, BeerFly has something for everyone. The Wellington Arms A sister pub to The Live in Cambridge, The Welly i

A RADical Improvement To The Cambridge Beer Scene: The Rad Preview Night!

  It’s so good to see Cambridge’s smallest pub back open! I was invited to the preview night and had a great time. For most of my drinking life, this pub was fairly rubbish. The beer, although cheap, was terrible. Most of it came from a brewery, which no longer exists. I don’t miss it. Enough about rubbish beer though, what’s the new Rad like?  Well, in my opinion, it’s just what Cambridge needed. The beer scene in Cambridge is sadly dominated by Greene King, there are too few places where you can get both a good range of beer and beer served in good condition. The Rad had one of the best ranges of beer, I’ve seen in ages. There was literally something for everyone. From sours, to various types of IPA, impy stouts, lager and bitter! There were some preview night teething issues with the beer screens, but it’s so good to be able to see the beer list, style of beer and strength so clearly! The condition was excellent, as expected.  I sampled beers from Marble, Two Flints and Anspach &