Skip to main content

Supermarket Weep: Aldi

 


When you hear the bleep, think about taking part in Supermarket Weep! 

With Aldi right next door to Morrisons, it would have been rude to ignore it. Bedford loves collating supermarkets. Dan joins me once again, and we start on the lagers. 

We kicked things off with this imitation of a popular beer. I described it as the best crappy lager so far, but still tastes of nothing. Staying on the lagers, we tried this imitation of a popular French beer.

Another crappy lager with no taste. But fear not reader, we had more lager to drink….

Of course, this is a take on a popular Scottish beer. It’s amazing how all three of the lagers taste different, but yet taste of nothing. Thankfully, this now concludes the crappy lager section. 

Ah! A west coast IPA! A watery mess in a can, sadly. 

Then, things took a turn for better… 

This was a welcome surprise. A nice, strong caramel taste. I actually enjoyed this beer, not enough to buy it again mind. Time to move to the dark side. 

Watery and bland. Disappointing, especially after it seemed the beer was getting better!

Easily the best beer from Aldi. This wasn’t actually that bad. I enjoyed the coffee and vanilla notes. Would probably buy this again, if I was really desperate. 

That concludes Supermarket Weep, Aldi edition! Let’s see the scores:


Thanks for reading! Let’s see which supermarket will be the next to feature on Supermarket Weep!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Like You Mean It: The Story of My Friendship With Rach, Mental Health and Our Latest Adventure.

 I’m very fortunate to have great friends in my life, I don’t think you can put a value on good people. People who have your back, make you laugh, pick you up if you need it, advise you, complement you and at times challenge you. I’m not a great lover of texting or messaging, because it just isn’t the same as being together in real life. To me, a sign of a great friend is someone you can spend weeks or months away from, but when you do meet again, it’s like you were never apart. People come and go, the best people stay.  In 2011, whilst at secondary school, I was elected to Sports Council. At this time I was failing to accept that my rugby playing days were nearly over. I have a lifelong problem with my back, it was getting worse. I was seeing two physios a week, hours of laying on my front having my back looked at, coupled with loading up on whatever pain relief the Dr would prescribe me. That was all to try and get through the rugby matches. Eventually, my consultant, Dr Jenner, told

The Best Of Bedford: Three Mirages In A Beer Desert

 One of my best friends lives in Bedford and thus I spent a fair amount of time in the market town turned commuter town. It’s not a bad little place, of course it has some issues, the riverside is very much a delight.  What isn’t a delight is the beer scene. Bedford’s beer scene is dominated by mediocrity, in the forms of generic Green King and Charlie (formerly Charles) Wells pubs. Even the latter’s new brewery complex, Brewpoint, doesn’t make it onto my Bedford beer shortlist. I’ll file that place under nice place, shame about the beer. There are however three places actually worth visiting, let’s get to it.  BeerFly  A beer shop with six taps, occasionally one cask and multiple fridges that showcase the best craft beer available. BeerFly is the standout beer venue in Bedford. The range of beer served here is nothing short of impressive. From sours to lagers and imperial stouts, BeerFly has something for everyone. The Wellington Arms A sister pub to The Live in Cambridge, The Welly i

A RADical Improvement To The Cambridge Beer Scene: The Rad Preview Night!

  It’s so good to see Cambridge’s smallest pub back open! I was invited to the preview night and had a great time. For most of my drinking life, this pub was fairly rubbish. The beer, although cheap, was terrible. Most of it came from a brewery, which no longer exists. I don’t miss it. Enough about rubbish beer though, what’s the new Rad like?  Well, in my opinion, it’s just what Cambridge needed. The beer scene in Cambridge is sadly dominated by Greene King, there are too few places where you can get both a good range of beer and beer served in good condition. The Rad had one of the best ranges of beer, I’ve seen in ages. There was literally something for everyone. From sours, to various types of IPA, impy stouts, lager and bitter! There were some preview night teething issues with the beer screens, but it’s so good to be able to see the beer list, style of beer and strength so clearly! The condition was excellent, as expected.  I sampled beers from Marble, Two Flints and Anspach &