Skip to main content

Moose On The Loose: Reading - Wise (ish) Men Follow The S For Good Beer

 


I’m slowly catching up with the blog! Away day weekends equal pub creds, we all know that and Reading had lots waiting for us! I had been to Reading before, years ago. On that trip I ticked off two spoons and a couple of other pubs, not that I remember anything about those or Reading. Let’s get started! 

The squad were arriving at slightly different times for this one. The Cambridge crew arrived first, and headed straight for the The Ale House: 

Fun fact! You can see four coffee shops, from that little front garden! This is a decent pub. It’s got a classic interior and a good selection of beers.

I opted for the Muntjac, and it was very nice! 

After The Alehouse, the last member of the Friday night squad arrived. Taxi obtained, it was straight to Siren Craft and Elusive. I think I’ll save those for another blog. Let’s keep going with Reading. 

After Siren, Nathan and I slipped off this station pub, owned by Fullers. 

I channeled my inner BRAPA Simon, and went for an ESB. It was a very good pint, and I would have stayed for another, but bed was calling. 

We now jump to after the Reading v Cambridge game. Desperate for a beer, we headed to Phantom Brewing. 


I fancied something light and refreshing. Denim, a pale ale, was just the job. 
Always have to get a shot in front of the brewing equipment! I could have stayed at Phantom longer, but we had an extensive beer-genda to complete. After a quick pit stop at the hotel, we headed to the pub I was most excited to visit. 


The S is the star that leads you to good beer! Always follow the S! 

The pub was packed and felt like a sauna. I grabbed a pint of SnapBack lager, from Siren of course, and headed for the large beer garden! 

We turned to the Good Beer Guide for our next few pubs. This proved to be a mistake. The Butler was next, and the second worst pub we visited in Reading. 

Look at the state of that glass. The beer was average, and that’s probably being polite. We made a hasty exit. The Castle Tap was up next. In my opinion, the people who run a pub either make it or break it. The person who served us, at this pub, was the most unnecessarily sarcastic person of all time. I guess I can’t blame the GBG for that! I have no idea why she was like it. My best theory is that she was trying to be funny, but completely missed the mark. Nevertheless, the Bostin’ Bitter by Green Duck was decent. 

Not wishing to experience anymore pointless sarcasm, we headed to the Allied Arms. 

I’d heard great things about this place. It lived up to none of them. 


Firstly, another dirty glass. Reading pubs love serving beer in dirty glasses. Secondly, the beer tasted terrible. We sampled each ale between us and all were poor. So poor in fact, we left. 


While researching for this trip I stumbled across The Hop Leaf, a Hop Back pub. 

A proper back street locals pub, I think they were surprised to see some non locals arrive! The Summer Lightning and other Hop Back beers were served in excellent condition. This was a strong contender for pub of the trip! 

We had time for one more pub. The Greyfriar. 

I like to finish on a Guinness, but only Just Stout by Stardust was available here. It didn’t hit the spot, and to be honest neither did Reading. I can’t say that I’d rush back to Reading, although Siren are opening a brand new bar here. There’s a couple of decent beer places, but a lot of poor and average ones. 

Thanks for reading. Siren blog coming soon! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Like You Mean It: The Story of My Friendship With Rach, Mental Health and Our Latest Adventure.

 I’m very fortunate to have great friends in my life, I don’t think you can put a value on good people. People who have your back, make you laugh, pick you up if you need it, advise you, complement you and at times challenge you. I’m not a great lover of texting or messaging, because it just isn’t the same as being together in real life. To me, a sign of a great friend is someone you can spend weeks or months away from, but when you do meet again, it’s like you were never apart. People come and go, the best people stay.  In 2011, whilst at secondary school, I was elected to Sports Council. At this time I was failing to accept that my rugby playing days were nearly over. I have a lifelong problem with my back, it was getting worse. I was seeing two physios a week, hours of laying on my front having my back looked at, coupled with loading up on whatever pain relief the Dr would prescribe me. That was all to try and get through the rugby matches. Eventually, my consultant, Dr Jenner, told

The Best Of Bedford: Three Mirages In A Beer Desert

 One of my best friends lives in Bedford and thus I spent a fair amount of time in the market town turned commuter town. It’s not a bad little place, of course it has some issues, the riverside is very much a delight.  What isn’t a delight is the beer scene. Bedford’s beer scene is dominated by mediocrity, in the forms of generic Green King and Charlie (formerly Charles) Wells pubs. Even the latter’s new brewery complex, Brewpoint, doesn’t make it onto my Bedford beer shortlist. I’ll file that place under nice place, shame about the beer. There are however three places actually worth visiting, let’s get to it.  BeerFly  A beer shop with six taps, occasionally one cask and multiple fridges that showcase the best craft beer available. BeerFly is the standout beer venue in Bedford. The range of beer served here is nothing short of impressive. From sours to lagers and imperial stouts, BeerFly has something for everyone. The Wellington Arms A sister pub to The Live in Cambridge, The Welly i

Why I’ve decided to start a blog

So why have I started a blog? The short answer is that I’m doing it for myself. The longer answer is for a few reasons. Over the past year I’ve been doing a fair amount of writing, for an advanced course at work and I’ve enjoyed writing for the first time. I’ve come to realise that writing is something that I would like to get better at. I’d also like to document what I get up to, from football away days, to theme park trips, to beer trips and maybe even other things! I’m also hoping that doing this will force me to take more photos, something I always forget to do.  Is this something I’ll forget to do or give up on in a month’s time? Maybe. But I’m going to try! I’m also not doing this for financial gain, but if you fancy giving me a big bag of money for writing about something then I’ll likely do it. Where does the name Beer Moose come from? Is it linked to Cambridge United having Marvin The Moose as a mascot? Well I like beer and from an early age my sister called me Moose, it kind