Skip to main content

Away Days 23/24: Port Vale - The U’s Are Staying Up!

 


Cambridge never do things the easy way. Only getting a point against Wycombe on Tuesday night meant relegation went down to the final day. The U’s found themselves in a favourable position, both Burton and Cheltenham had to win and Cambridge had to lose to go down. A point against already relegated Port Vale would be enough. 


A 12:30 kick off meant an early start, we left The Abbey at 07:15. With over a thousand United fans making the trip to Stoke, the away travel buses were both double deckers! Although my excitement quickly faded, as I realised we were stopping at Norton Canes. Thankfully, it was pretty quiet there. 

Security at Vale was tight. The steward even looked inside the hood of my hoodie! Once entry was permitted it was beer time. 

Notice how there’s only one beer on sale? I asked the server for a beer and he asked me which one, I said you only sell one, to which he replied “oh yeah”. 

The cruzcampo wasn’t great. Bland fizzy water. 

The layout of Vale Park was weird. To get anywhere you had to go up or down stairs, which made me feel like I was in the film Labyrinth. After climbing the wrong stairs and ducking under a barrier with much grace, I was in the away end. Over a thousand of the amber nation made the trip! 


 Vale have a very decent ground. My only complaint is the amount of the pillars, which block the view. The sound system was particularly impressive, as it banged out Motörhead and Metallica! In truth, it’s the food, drink and toilet facilities which let Vale Park down. League 1 stadium with non-league facilities. 

The match itself was a fairly dull affair. With Burton finding themselves 2-0 down to already relegated Fleetwood, the U’s were in full control. Port Vale looked poor and United didn’t really need to come out of third gear. We controlled the game and it was job done. 

The players came over to thank the fans. Seeing Brophy head a beach ball into the net was probably the highlight of the day! 

That concluded the 23/24 season. I managed 35 games, 12 new grounds and travelled 2800 miles! 

32/92

Cambridge game: 528. 


See you next season! Up the U’s! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Like You Mean It: The Story of My Friendship With Rach, Mental Health and Our Latest Adventure.

 I’m very fortunate to have great friends in my life, I don’t think you can put a value on good people. People who have your back, make you laugh, pick you up if you need it, advise you, complement you and at times challenge you. I’m not a great lover of texting or messaging, because it just isn’t the same as being together in real life. To me, a sign of a great friend is someone you can spend weeks or months away from, but when you do meet again, it’s like you were never apart. People come and go, the best people stay.  In 2011, whilst at secondary school, I was elected to Sports Council. At this time I was failing to accept that my rugby playing days were nearly over. I have a lifelong problem with my back, it was getting worse. I was seeing two physios a week, hours of laying on my front having my back looked at, coupled with loading up on whatever pain relief the Dr would prescribe me. That was all to try and get through the rugby matches. Eventually, my consultant, Dr Jenner, told

The Best Of Bedford: Three Mirages In A Beer Desert

 One of my best friends lives in Bedford and thus I spent a fair amount of time in the market town turned commuter town. It’s not a bad little place, of course it has some issues, the riverside is very much a delight.  What isn’t a delight is the beer scene. Bedford’s beer scene is dominated by mediocrity, in the forms of generic Green King and Charlie (formerly Charles) Wells pubs. Even the latter’s new brewery complex, Brewpoint, doesn’t make it onto my Bedford beer shortlist. I’ll file that place under nice place, shame about the beer. There are however three places actually worth visiting, let’s get to it.  BeerFly  A beer shop with six taps, occasionally one cask and multiple fridges that showcase the best craft beer available. BeerFly is the standout beer venue in Bedford. The range of beer served here is nothing short of impressive. From sours to lagers and imperial stouts, BeerFly has something for everyone. The Wellington Arms A sister pub to The Live in Cambridge, The Welly i

Why I’ve decided to start a blog

So why have I started a blog? The short answer is that I’m doing it for myself. The longer answer is for a few reasons. Over the past year I’ve been doing a fair amount of writing, for an advanced course at work and I’ve enjoyed writing for the first time. I’ve come to realise that writing is something that I would like to get better at. I’d also like to document what I get up to, from football away days, to theme park trips, to beer trips and maybe even other things! I’m also hoping that doing this will force me to take more photos, something I always forget to do.  Is this something I’ll forget to do or give up on in a month’s time? Maybe. But I’m going to try! I’m also not doing this for financial gain, but if you fancy giving me a big bag of money for writing about something then I’ll likely do it. Where does the name Beer Moose come from? Is it linked to Cambridge United having Marvin The Moose as a mascot? Well I like beer and from an early age my sister called me Moose, it kind